Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Anthony Bourdain Les Halles Cookbook Mushroom Soup



I like mushrooms, sure. Mushroom soup though just isn't something I'd order from a menu. Over the past couple years I'm finding I enjoy soup, where previously my thoughts on it were along the lines of, "I have teeth and prefer to chew food that requires it rather than spooning food more suitably eaten with a straw." Yeah, too snobby for soup, yet I'm willing to slurp on a bowl of ramen like nobody's business.

Fresh stock in hand (and in freezer), I was inclined to give this particular recipe a whirl even though there won't be anything to chew.

The original recipe calls for light stock, but I'm a rebel.

Mushroom Soup
adapted from Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook, also found on Epicurious
click to print

6 tbsp (75 g) butter, divided
1 small onion, thinly sliced
12 ounces button mushrooms
4 c dark chicken stock
1 sprig of flat parsley
salt
pepper
2 oz sherry



In the medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons (28 g) of the butter over medium heat and add the onion.


Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, then add the mushrooms and the remaining butter.


Let the mixture sweat for about 8 minutes, taking care that the onion doesn't take on any brown color.


Stir in the chicken stock and the parsley and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour.


After an hour, remove the parsley and discard.


Let the soup cool for a few minutes, then transfer in batches to a blender and carefully blend at high speed until smooth.


Mushroom soup in the making or a protein shake?

When blended, return the mix to the pot, season with salt and pepper, and bring up to a simmer again.


Add the sherry, mix well, and serve immediately.



Initially, the sherry was a little bit overwhelming, but as the soup cooled and the sherry mellowed out a little bit, the flavors were very complimentary. I can see why Bourdain specifically says to get a good sherry so as not to fuck up your soup. Not sure if the Hartley is a good one or not, I can say it certainly didn't ruin my meal.

This soup is so hearty it can almost be considered meaty. It was so meaty that I actually made unnecessary chewing motions. And it's unbelievably warming. Is it crazy that while eating I imagined myself enjoying it after a day of snow skiing? What if I told you I've never been skiing?

Will I make it again? Eh, I don't know about that. If I do, I'll put some mushroom pieces in it. What can I say, I like having something to chew on when I eat.

Cost:
  • butter: $0.28
  • onion: $0.57
  • mushrooms: $2.24
  • chicken stock: $0.64
  • sherry: $0.81
Total: $4.54 or $1.14 for each of four servings.


0 comments: